honesty is the best policy
A while back Alicia of Alicia B. Designs nominated me for the Honest Scrap-tastic awards and it’s taken me way too long to accept it. Not that I’m not flattered that people want to know random interesting facts about me, but it’s more I didn’t know what information to share. So I hope you enjoy the incredibly random information I’m about to share.
1. I’ve been an interior designer since I was this little girl who’s Mom made her pose for pictures next to Mickey Mouse. (Check out those bangs!) I just didn’t know it was an actual paying career until I was about 15 or so, when Trading Spaces became oh-so-popular. I used to draw floor plans of my house with my crayons and construction paper in elementary school, and would lay it out differently to where I thought it worked better. Or in the Fall, I’d lay out lines of leaves to make rooms on the front lawn, and I’d do the same in the Winter with snow. Don’t get me wrong, I could play kickball with the best of them, but interior design was my first love.
2. Well, interior design might not be my first love. Ryan is. You’re probably tired of me talking about him, but he’s my best friend and this month we will be together for ten years. It’s hard to imagine a time where he wasn’t in my life, and the past decade has been the happiest time of my life. (This is the first photo we ever took together when we were “just friends”. I was secretly in love with him and he thought of me as his best friend.. That changed pretty quickly.)
3. I am a creature of habit, especially when it comes to eating. For years, I ate cheerios every morning with a glass of milk on the side. I hate soggy cereal and I like eating it plain. Weird, I know. I also eat my m&m’s slightly melted in the microwave just so it’s crunchy on the outside but hot and melty on the inside. Do it.
4. I am addicted to chapstick. Tonight I counted and I have 9 in my junk drawer, and probably about 4 in my nightstand. I always have one in my jeans pocket, too. You know those men who have that permanent wallet print in their back jean pocket? I’ll probably have that from my chapstick.
5. I love getting my hands dirty. I think my proudest project would be the job I did re-tiling our backsplash. Not bad for a girl, right?
6. Speaking of getting my hands dirty… I adore camping. I went for the first time last year, and I’m anxiously awaiting warmer weather so I can sleep below the stars again. There’s nothing better than grilling next to the campfire while sipping a nice cold beer.
7. I also love playing poker with our friends. We’re high rollers and play with nickles and dimes, and I’m usually the big winner of the night. I’m just sayin’…
8. I’ve been taller than most girls since about 6th grade. In 5th grade (in 1995) I was 5’5 and had a size 5 shoe, and it seemed that summer I grew about 5″. Now, I’m 5’10” and love wearing heels even though my best friends are almost a foot shorter than I am. I finally don’t feel like a gangly awkward teenager, and love embracing my height. (Photo 1: my best friends- Casey, Kelsey, Sarah, Me, and Dana. Photo 2: Dana, Me, and Casey dressed as “decades” for halloween last year. My dress is Ryan’s mom authentic hippie dress!)
9. I love to paint whether it be my nails, walls, or canvas. This is my favorite painting I’ve done hanging in our entrance. (Notice it’s decorated for Christmas! It’s the only photo I have.) I never have an idea in mind when I start painting, but the brush stroke is extremely relaxing to me.
10. I collect skeleton keys. Oh, and when I take photos, I can’t close just one eye. I have to keep both of them open.
I’m “nominating” some of my favorite bloggers, and if you’d like to participate, that’d be great. If not, it’s no big deal. I’ll love you anyway!