Yesterday I made stuffed peppers preparing for the fact that I might have to eat soupy foods after getting a tooth pulled! I also needed an excuse to not watch football, because after 5 hours all of their tight pants look the same!
(I couldn’t get a good shot of my peppers because everyone already dug in before I had time to get my camera. I guess that’s a compliment.. right?)
To make about 10-13 Stuffed Green Bell Peppers I use the following ingredients to make the stuffing mixture:
- 3 lbs. browned chopped meat (beef or turkey)
- 3 cans tomato paste
- 2 packages onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups rice (white or brown, you can’t taste the difference. Measurement is prior to cooking rice)
- 3 heaping spoonfuls of margarine
- About a 1/4 cup ketchup
1. Cut off the tops of all green peppers, remove all seeds.
2. Cook rice and brown meat prior to stuffing peppers. Fill each pepper with above mixture.
3. Put peppers in large pot and cover with Campbell’s tomato soup. (Note: Some prefer to use spaghetti sauce, and that is fine too! This recipe is based on a family secret, don’t tell anyone!!)
4. Simmer on low for about 2 hours or until pepper is soft and can be broken with a spoon.
Note: These peppers are great to freeze for future cold winter nights!