The first thing I cooked in our new house was brass door knobs. Sounds delicious, doesn’t it?
Instead of using paint stripper for the door hardware, Ryan read somewhere that you can simmer them in water with a tiny bit of laundry detergent. (I used a cheapie 3 quart pot from the dollar store with about 2 tablespoons of detergent, and it worked perfectly!) I was a bit skeptical if it would work, but after I let it simmer for about 30-60 minutes, the paint almost fell off.
We didn’t cross everything off my to-do list but we got a lot done. Ryan and John hung the storm door, and the front entry door which takes all day when they’re drinking beer and having heart to hearts. Apparently our entry door is not a standard size (= $$$$) , but Ryan found a solid cherry door on clearance at Home Depot in our exact size! Once the floors are stained, we’re going to stain it the same color so it stands out from the white molding and makes it feel a little more special.
While the boys played inside in the air conditioning, I weeded the garden, laid the mulch and planted some plants. I just wish I would have known that there was a wasp nest in one of the bushes I tore out because that sting was painful! Even though my leg is still swollen from the sting, and I can’t seem to get the dirt out from under my nails, I am ending the weekend feeling happy and content and like everything is finally working out.